•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05 aveo engine and hold light flashing

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

05 aveo engine and hold light flashing

Hello everyone, I recently swaped engines and now the engine light and hold light are driving me crazy. sometimes it s only engine light and when both are flashing it won't shift to 4th gear. before putting the engine on checked the belt and it looked as it was replaced with the tention pully. scan reads missfire code p0300. just had a tune up done.I don't feel like spending more money without knowing what the problem is.
      PLEASE HELP.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ak1you View Post
      Hello everyone, I recently swaped engines and now the engine light and hold light are driving me crazy. sometimes it s only engine light and when both are flashing it won't shift to 4th gear. before putting the engine on checked the belt and it looked as it was replaced with the tention pully. scan reads missfire code p0300. just had a tune up done.I don't feel like spending more money without knowing what the problem is.
      PLEASE HELP.
      Where did the replacement engine come from - rebuilt with a warranty, pulled from a wreck? How many miles on it, and did anyone do a compression test yet?

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      misfire code, have you checked the spark plug wiring sequence?
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      engine used had 51000 miles on it nobody did a compression test

Thanks
      If the engine runs good (smooth idle) then most likely your P0300 (random misfire) is due to the Crankshaft position sensor (to computer) needing a Crankshaft re-learn procedure. I just replaced my 2005 engine with a 2008 (50,000 km on it). The engine was noisy on start-up but then ran good except throwing code P-0300 which was corrected with CrankShaft re-learn procedure. Mine's a 5 spd manual so I didn't have the other code and shifting problem you have. I drove for three weeks with CEL on.

Unfortunately, in my case, GM didn't do "Crankshaft re-learn" properly another shop ended up getting it done for a fraction of the price ($40 vs $150). Currently trying to get refund from GM.

Make sure your using the crankshaft position sensor that was originally with old engine (located below oil filter). Or at least cross-reference part numbers (RockAuto online is good for this). The shop that did my "re-learn" used a Snap-On calibrator that emulated GM Tech II calibrator - call around as not all calibrators can do this.

The "Crankshaft Re-learn procedure" is in the GM shop manual and specifically mentions this is required with an engine replacement.

See attached link which I came across that applies more to your situation.... Car with Automatic Transmisssion.

Interstitial Ad - Modern Tire Dealer

Goodluck

Thanks
      I went to the dealer and did the crankshaft learn procedure. the tech and I test drove the car after and same problem reaccured. Missfire code. but the scanner showed no missfires on any of the cylinders. and I also changed the crankshaft sensor. Please advise.

Thanks
      Make sure sensor (or at least part number matches) was one that was with car originally (sounds like you did this). Try some other shops to do re-learn as I tried four times before success (1 dealer and 3 independent shops). Bring the article (link) with you when you go to have it done. They seem to have to plug in their scanner to see if re-learn option is available. I believe the scanner that worked for me was a Snap-On unit but don't know exact model number.

Sounds like re-learn isssue if not showing a real missfire - crankshaft needing re-learn will show false missfire.

Goodluck

Thanks
      THe crankshaft learn procedure solved the problem with my 2005 auto

Thanks
      Hello everyone! I also have a 05 aveo that recently started flashing the engine and hold lights. I disconnected the battery and all was fine for a day. Now just the hold light will randomly come on flashing. When starting it, it will start rough with lots of vibration and then light will start to flash. Spark plugs andwires are new.
      Any thoughts?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Did you have the problem before the new plugs and wires went in? If so, did the new parts help the problem at all? Did you have the ODB codes read yet? If so, what are the codes? If not, take it to a parts store to get the codes- many don't charge to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast