•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chevrolet Aveo RS Concept: Wake-Up Call in Small-Car Segment

Thanks

Chevrolet Aveo RS Concept: Wake-Up Call in Small-Car Segment

GM unveiled the Aveo RS Concept at this year's (2010) Detroit Auto Show.

It's gotten a lot of favourable words in the press.

It's supposedly very close to the next gen production Aveo. Wonder if they're planning to upgrade the price too... seems likely. The new Aveo will slot into the model lineup a little above the current model, sort of becoming the "hatchback" version of the Cruze. (Which of course then makes you wonder what's the future for the Aveo sedan.) Then the new Chevy Spark will slide in a little below the position of the current car, effectively taking its place.

[youtube:2zbd4gdv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vly3G-ZWnkQ[/youtube:2zbd4gdv]

-------------------

From GM, 2010-01-08:

Chevrolet Aveo RS Show Car: A Wake-Up Call For The Small-Car Segment

DETROIT – Chevrolet today announced the world debut of the Aveo RS show car at the 2010 North American International Auto Show. It features a European-inspired hot hatch look designed to appeal to young enthusiasts, and hints at the next-generation Aveo.

Longer, wider and more spacious than the current production Aveo, the Aveo RS showcases the car’s upscale-looking design cues both inside and out, and presents the many personalization options potentially available on the next-generation car.

“We hope the Aveo RS show car will demonstrate that we are as serious about redefining the Aveo and its place in the small-car segment as we were about reinventing the Malibu,” said Jim Campbell, Chevrolet general manager.

First impressions

The Aveo RS show car, finished in electric Boracay Blue, wears global Chevrolet design cues such as the dual element grille, round taillamps and fender flares, but designers turned up the attitude on the show car with low openings and a lower mouth trimmed in a combination of brushed and polished aluminum. Outboard fog lamps are integrated into an exaggerated brake-cooling inlet that flows into the front fender flares, creating an aggressive-looking face.

Exposed headlamps, with their brushed aluminum structural surround, are inspired by the designers’ affection for motorcycles. The sleek side profile is characterized by uninterrupted body side lines, a high beltline and low roofline. The side mirrors with amber-colored turn signal indicators carry the same shape as the car and seemingly disappear into the profile. At first glance, the car actually looks like a three-door hatch because the rear door handles are discreetly located in the “C”-pillar area.

“The Aveo RS show car demonstrates how progressive design can inject personality into a small car,” said Michael Simcoe, executive director, North American Exterior Design. “We want customers to see it and have an emotional reaction to it.”

No performance-minded car earns its street cred without large wheels and tires. The Aveo RS show car’s wheels are 19-inch, five-spoke with a gun metal metallic finish Chevrolet logo. The wheel openings reveal large Boracay Blue brake calipers.

The rear of the show car continues the sport theme, with an integrated spoiler that flows from the roof, a center-mounted exhaust and chrome exhaust tips. The exposed motorcycle-inspired rear taillamps feature tinted aluminum housings and a discreet Bowtie logo.

Spacious and stylish interior

With its matte black interior highlighted by gloss black, metallic and blue accents, the Aveo RS show car reflects as much attention to detail as the exterior. The Boracay Blue theme continues inside, with accent stitching across the dual cockpit instrument panel, front and rear door insert, steering wheel rim, gear shift boot, parking brake, leather seat bolster and even the floor mats. The integrated center stack holds the gearshift, HVAC controls and the sound system, including a USB port. Ice-blue backlighting on the audio display, telltale indicator screen and knobs augments the blue stitching.

The motorcycle inspiration also carries inside, with a round, analog tachometer set within an asymmetrical LCD readout also trimmed in milled metal with round cutouts; and round, aluminum-trimmed side vents.

The interior is as functional as it is stylish, with storage compartments in the center stack and doors. The rear seats fold flat for carrying larger items.

Efficient performer

The Aveo RS show car is powered by the same highly efficient 138-horsepower (103 kW) 1.4L I-4 Ecotec turbocharged engine that will be available in the upcoming Chevrolet Cruze.

A six-speed manual transmission is designed to ensure the car will provide a spirited driving experience.

For the show car, designers created a special engine cover in graphite silver with a brushed aluminum insert. The coolant and power steering fluid fill caps are rimmed in ice blue, and the honeycomb vents flanking the center of the cover are matte-finished in shadow chrome and designed to match the wheel color.

Chevrolet has previously announced the new Aveo will be built at Orion Assembly in Orion Township, Mich., in 2011, a move that will restore 1,200 jobs to Southeast Michigan. Timing for retooling Orion Assembly for Aveo production is anticipated to begin in late 2010.

Source: http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...t/0108_aveo_rs

---
      Aveo Underdrive Pulleys -- $20 Off Sale This Week. Get more info here.
      ---

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: Chevrolet Aveo RS Concept: Wake-Up Call in Small-Car Seg

The cruise shares platform with the new aveo, so information I had found is the cruise actually is the new aveo sedan. The new aveo is also bigger, thought to be a replacement for the pontiac vibe which is not coming back, and the cruise has already been called the cobalts replacement.

Not sure how they are cross marketing, the cruise is already available over seas, but us cars will be built here.

I am in fear of how odd that aveo would look without that "aggressive body kit" as that is the only thing that makes the car flow. thats the first report i have heard saying it is coming off? Wheels, i am not too worried about. But the 1.4t and 6 speed is a must have..

Thanks

That's a good point about the Aveo moving up into the Vibe's slot.

Did you see the Car and Driver report I posted too? They're specifically calling for an Aveo sedan, which is odd considering the car's Cruze platform.

They're also saying the 1.4T is a no-go in the hatch.

It's typical to get all kinds of conflicting info about new models. We won't know for sure until they're practically in showrooms.
      ---
      ---

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I believe they are going to mess up the aveo again if they do not release a RS model with the aggressive body kit.

What do you mean there's no turbo? LarsBud's Avatar
      Thanks

Well lets see what happen when this New Aveo hits the car lots. We will see what people have to say and if GM pushes this modal or if they forget about it like we always have been.
      Always make the best of what you have!
      http://caferacersontario.forumer.com

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

GM has been stringing us along with promises of a sport version of (or sibling to) the Aveo for years. While I would love to see that happen, I really don't think it will. Not in the US anyway. The market for it just isn't there. The only reason the Aveo has managed to survive this long is because of the price. All these upgrades and improved styling that we want will price the Aveo out of its current sales space and move it into competition (price-wise anyway) with cars that are just plain better. GM can't afford any kind of failure right now, so I don't see them launching something as risky as an Aveo RS for at least 3 more years.

Thanks

I think you're right - the Spark is going to become the "new" Aveo in terms of being GM's entry level car.

Moving the Aveo up a few notches in price and features could make it more likely that they'll actually produce a version like the RS.
      ---
      ---

Thanks

Here's GM's official video (animation) for the Aveo RS:

[youtube:6ty8ac2m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1FzUsc_-Fw[/youtube:6ty8ac2m]
      ---
      ---

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG
      I think you're right - the Spark is going to become the "new" Aveo in terms of being GM's entry level car.

Moving the Aveo up a few notches in price and features could make it more likely that they'll actually produce a version like the RS.
      Your also forgetting it will be made in the USA, so it might be incentive for them to make the model.

With the killing of the cobalt though, i don't see the 140hp aveo RS as enough to replace the 260? hp cobalt ss,,

Even though with the size increase, the introduction of a cheaper entry level car, and removal of other models, its hard to figure out what barrack, er i mean gm is doing.. If it was just a basic model update i think the RS would be dead in the water here. But the 1.4T is now approved for the cruze, so it can be put in the aveo without repaying for epa testing and approval.. And they are removing other models (eventually) they will need the sportier compact to compete wiith the foreign market cars..

It will be a tough choice between a polo gti, and the aveo rs if they both come.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

I guess GM is gonna have to step up on the Cruze if its going to replace the cobalt. Anyone know if its coming with an SS or RS model?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast