•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Gauge Install

Thanks

Ultra-Gauge Install

I ordered an Ultra-Gauge for my 2010 Aveo LT Sedan - A/T . I chose this over the Scan Gauge II for size, price, looks and functionality. It was $76.86 shipped and eligible for $9 rebate.

It has some very nice features such as auto-adjusting brightness based on ambient in cabin light. There are 30 gauges available for my car all with settable alarms. This gauge also works as a scan tool which is very nice.

I am not a hyper-miler but I commute 68 miles each way and want to maximize my MPG. I also can set a speed alarm to remind me to slow down, but I doubt I will. I currently drive 98% Highway and in the winter (Minnesota) was getting 27-29 MPG and when above freezing 30-31.5 MPG.

It is fairly simple installation but it is a bit of a pain. Right off the bat you know somethings up...

Nice size:

What you get:

I chose to mount this as close to the corner pillar as possible to avoid sun and it being an eye sore:

It is powered and run off of your OBDII port under the dash. It locks in secure:

Make sure the cord will not get in the way of the pedals. I ran the cable over/behind the hood latch release and rolled the extra wire and used twist ties to secure it up and to the very left next to the hood release. It seems secure there now:

Once you go to the website to start it up for your rebate it asks for a complex input of the configuration data when first plugged in including vehicle production date:

View from outside. The mount is quite sturdy and adjustable and I actually got it lower and closer to the pillar now:

Inside view before starting or driving car:

The 3 buttons to control are used blindly on the back and easy to learn:

I had to enter some data to get things going:
      Fuel Tank Size: 11.9 Gallons
      Engine Size 1.6
      11-bit Can (was found during initial scan)

Once I started the car it warned me of a trouble code: U0001
      After reading I found this to be a generic code from the ECM when the UG first scanned it. I used the Clear engine code option to clear and no further code.

I strongly suggest reading this user manual to have this work properly:
      http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/su...ser_manual.pdf

I haven't filled up or calibrated things yet but having the instant MPG and the Distance to empty is very nice.

Last edited by Brian; 03-31-2011 at 11:19 PM.
      A body to G Body to F Body to DSM to Subcompact?

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Looks like it's on special for $59.95 dang.... I just bought the Actron AutoScanner Plus just a few days ago for $200 bucks, this little thing looks like it can do the same, I think...?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      I really want one of these, but I am holding out for the Metric version that was supposed to be out a few weeks ago. They are now saying end of April.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks
      I was thinking about buying one of these because it is very useful to have. How is yours working so far?

Thanks
      So far so good! I love all the gauges available and every setting is customizable.

I have had a few quirks though.
      For some reason it thinks I went 159 MPH at some point and tripped an alarm. I do not know if was just something while messing with it and backing in during install. I just went into the menu and disable a speed alert either way. It is set at 90mph by default.

I later got an RPM high limit alarm, when doing a quick merge onto the highway I had to floor it. By default it alarms at 4200RPM or so. I bumped up the setting to 5700rpm.

I just did my first fill up so I zeroed out all the MPG averages and the trip to start fresh. It has been great to see instant econ at different speeds and loads. Not having a low fuel light has almost gotten me into trouble before since 2 trips to work and back is very near empty, if I forget to gas up and jump on the highway I would run out real quick. The Ultra Gauge has a Distance to empty and reaming fuel gauge. I thought the Time To Empty was nice also.

The rebate is a PITA. You need the packing slip, disclaimer initialed, and rebate form generated after enter the initial codes, all signed and scanned to email in or mail in. If you miss anything they say it will be denied. All that for $9 took me an hour with printing and scanning. I will have to reward myself with a good lunch for the effort.

Loving it so far! Best device I have bought in a long time for a car. I thought having the intake temp along with a ton of other sensors could open up custom tuning ideas easily.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      your car should have a low fuel light.. ? i think mine only come on with 10-15 miles left in the tank.

sounds light an interesting gauge.

Thanks
      I have buried the needle a long ways below the empty mark without it coming on and fit close to 11 gallons in. Figured it would have come on by then. Maybe.

I did notice today that there is a sweet spot doing 50mpg on straight aways that are level I was averaging 50+ mpg using cruise. If only all the roads were like those 4 miles. lol

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      i bought an ulta gauge a few months back and it as really worked great, gas mileage is very accurate i usually get around 33mpg and all the other gauges are really helpfull too, i would definitely buy another one.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      does it work to help increase hp and torque like the ScanGauge2??

Thanks
      Neither the Scangauge nor ultra-gauge increases power. They simply monitor it and other engine sensors.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast