•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Graph of MPG/fuel economy vs. speed, 2004 Aveo sedan (automatic)

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

2008 Version

The best mileage I have ever got was on a 560 mile trip at 68 to 75 MPH. I had just had a fresh synthetic oil change and a set of plugs and wires. 32 MPG(US) for the trip. Most of the time I get 25MPG(US). Since I got 18 MPG(US) in my 1974 Ford Brougham with a 450 cu inch engine, I consider this to be atrocious. I only do about 10,000 miles a year and the cost to operate is 54 cents a mile. I think I will be returning to a larger car in the future.

Thanks
      Here's my MPG after 9100+ miles logged.

Claustrophobia (Chevrolet Aveo) | Fuelly

Still love my daily driver Thymeclock's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
      That chart is the mileage you get at that exact speed on flat ground. Accelerating and stopping use considerably more gas (thus lower city ratings than highway ratings). If you spent your entire tank cruising at the speeds above you'd see roughly that mileage. I can attest that its perfectly possible with the right driving techniques. I always get around 40 mpg with my Aveo, but I drive about 45 mph most of the way to work, so its fairly ideal.
      "I can attest that its perfectly possible with the right driving techniques. I always get around 40 mpg with my Aveo, but I drive about 45 mph most of the way to work, so its fairly ideal."

Oh, lucky, lucky you. You are driving at that quintessential 'sweet spot', exactly where the automatic TC lockup occurs (at 45 mph) with a warm engine and you don't have to stop or slow for traffic, stop signs, idiot drivers, etc.

Let's revise it to say that its perfectly possible with ideal conditions, as you have demonstrated. You are lucky enough to have those conditions occur daily, or with regularity, hence your superlative results.

For the rest of us, our 'real world' MPG sucks, no matter how hard we try.

What's wrong with my car? AAB13X2L's Avatar
      Thanks
      Well today was my first drive after purchase and I got 30 mpg. There was a strong wing and up and down small hills with a
      little city driving. I must admit I did kick it a little testing out the power or lack there of but I think I can do better by setting the cruse control at 60 mph. Glad I found this forum.

Thanks
      Just wanted to share on my 2005 aveo stick shift, my record is 450, yes, 450 miles to a tank. That was going 55-60 mph from California to Arizona which is actually an increase in elevation, coming to roughly 42-43 mpg's. THis was in the dead of night with no AC on, and following large groups of semi trucks most of the way.

I regularly get 365 miles to the tank, freeway driving, going 90-95 mph to work, and 60 mph on my way home. It is 85% highway driving.

When I lived in the city and commuted in crowded streets, I would still get around 315-330 miles to a tank, driving rather aggressively.

Thanks
      Welcome to the forum, oreos.

It would have been interesting to stretch that graph out to see what MPG the Aveo was delivering at 90-95 mph!

Thanks
      I would love to get those kind of MPGs.
      I usually get just short of 27mpg but if I try REALLY HARD to drive like an old lady and take my foot off the gas whenever I'm going down a hill or anything of the sort, I can get about 30-31 mpg but that's rare.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by afr33sl4ve View Post
      Here's my MPG after 9100+ miles logged.

Claustrophobia (Chevrolet Aveo) | Fuelly
      Holy F***!!
      Where do you live that gas is $3 & change for a gallon!?

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jhelinski View Post
      Holy F***!!
      Where do you live that gas is $3 & change for a gallon!?
      It says Tucson, AZ... I bet gas is even higher in CA, glad it's still under $2.50 here.

I've put few miles on my newly acquired '09 Aveo5 manual trans and so far, so good. I filled my tank and reset one of the trip meters, drove till just under the halfway mark and refilled it. It took 6.68 gallons and took me 209 miles, 31.27 mpg isn't too bad. My driving consists of 75% hwy driving with A/C in the afternoons and I don't drive conservatively. I drive the speed limit or up to 5 mph above it and actually maintain my speed up hills(pet peeve). Coming from a car that averaged 14.4, I'm happy.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by SilentMatt View Post
      It says Tucson, AZ... I bet gas is even higher in CA, glad it's still under $2.50 here.

I've put few miles on my newly acquired '09 Aveo5 manual trans and so far, so good. I filled my tank and reset one of the trip meters, drove till just under the halfway mark and refilled it. It took 6.68 gallons and took me 209 miles, 31.27 mpg isn't too bad. My driving consists of 75% hwy driving with A/C in the afternoons and I don't drive conservatively. I drive the speed limit or up to 5 mph above it and actually maintain my speed up hills(pet peeve). Coming from a car that averaged 14.4, I'm happy.
      This is good ... Here in Serbia, I work entire month for 423,6 USD, and I hold MS In biochemistry (no, Im not lab tech, I am highly qualified scientist) and pay twice as more for a gallon of fuel. So I installed LPG conversion, to have a little cheaper ride... Here LPG costs as gas in US.

My mileage with LPG and gas is 8,5 L-9 L/100 km (about 28 mpg) for LPG and about 7,5 L (31 mpg) on gas only. Mainly highway driving, but in the morning rush I can prolong for up to an hour in heavy city traffic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast