•  

Thread: new member

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Ken here. I purchased a 2009 Aveo LT with 100,500 miles on it. Color is Tahiti Green Metallic U16 but my wife calls it teal. I purchased it for my wife because she needed another car and she fell in love with this one. Nothing special and nothing fancy but she loves it. It was priced right too at $2500. There is some very minor spot rust in the real wheel wells but that is to be expected here in Ohio. Winter road salt. The underside is very clean. The car was purchased from a small family owned lot. They got it at an auction. The dealer who submitted it for auction was a GM dealer. That GM dealer will not resell a used car more then 5 years old. That is why the car went to auction. The reason I know the history is because when me and my wife looked at the car it was being unloaded from a flatbed and the paperwork was still in it. So we looked. LOL!
      Some minor problems included 2 broken door handles on the inside. No big deal to fix. The exhaust pipe under the car was also broken and the dealer replaced it for us at a local muffler shop before we picked the car up to take home. Within 100 miles of purchase the check engine light came on. I ran the codes and found a P0171 lean code, P0131 O2 sensor low, P0300 general misfire, and P2270 O2 code. After a few choice words I opened the hood and investigated.
      I found that someone and I believe it was the old owner placed duct tape around the tube between the MAF and the throttle body covering a rip in the tube. A little more duct tape and I was back on the road. I reset the computer and the P0171 code came back. More on this in the forums. This is the reason I am here. I found the Aveo forum asking questions to Google. So here I am.

Last edited by Ken Jaworski; 03-18-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks
      Name:  car.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  52.7 KB Here is my 2009 Aveo.

Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jaworski View Post
      Ken here. I purchased a great VPN like Surfshark VPN and a 2009 Aveo LT with 100,500 miles on it. Color is Tahiti Green Metallic U16 but my wife calls it teal. I purchased it for my wife because she needed another car and she fell in love with this one. Nothing special and nothing fancy but she loves it. It was priced right too at $2500. There is some very minor spot rust in the real wheel wells but that is to be expected here in Ohio. Winter road salt. The underside is very clean. The car was purchased from a small family owned lot. They got it at an auction. The dealer who submitted it for auction was a GM dealer. That GM dealer will not resell a used car more then 5 years old. That is why the car went to auction. The reason I know the history is because when me and my wife looked at the car it was being unloaded from a flatbed and the paperwork was still in it. So we looked. LOL!
      Love that color, Ken. I'd love to see it in real life and see if it looks as good as in the pic.
      Last edited by Tizzard; 05-17-2022 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Tizzard View Post
      Love that color, Ken. I'd love to see it in real life and see if it looks as good as in the pic.
      Believe me, I does look as good as the picture. When the weather gets a bit better here and I make my wife wash the car, (she drives it, she keeps it clean sort of thing) I'll get some close-ups of the car along with the problem areas that I see. The car does have some very minor rust in the real wheel wells that can be easily dealt with provided I get to them this summer.

We are currently dealing with replacing the valve cover because of a failed PCV and there is an oil leak around spark plug #3. We also got another code the other day. It was a P0597 that has to do with the thermostat heater. Checked that out with an ohm meter and found the heater intermittently working. No big deal on changing the stat along with a new housing where the heater is located. I'm sure there will be other issues as in any used car with 100K+ so we will deal with them as we come to it.
      While changing the valve cover this weekend (weather permitting) I'll be checking the timing belt as well. Hate to see a piston crash into a valve. That doesn't make for a good day.