•  

Thread: New (to me) Aveo.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

New (to me) Aveo.

Hi everyone. Living outside of Memphis amid the lovely rice fields of Arkansas...

My 1997 Geo Metro reached the point where it wasn't cost effective to pay for the major repairs it needed, and I was able to find a 2010 Aveo LT well within my price range, @ 100K miles. I already like the way it rides and handles, and the automatic makes my bad left leg much happier than clutching. I'm looking forward to tracking the Aveo's MPG compare to the 1.0 3cyl Suzuki.Name:  red aveo.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  175.1 KB

Last edited by nunispablo; 08-12-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: add pic

Thanks
      Welcome, nunispablo!

What was wrong with your Metro? I still have a bunch of them: a 1991 convertible awaiting restoration, and a 1998 with 25k miles on it, a 2000 with 120k miles -- all 1.0L 5-speeds.

You are definitely giving up a fair amount of MPG for comfort/convenience of the Aveo automatic. The Aveo's auto transmission isn't particularly MPG-friendly. Note that the torque coverter doesn't lock in top gear until mid-40's MPH.

Related thread:
      Thread: Graph of MPG/fuel economy vs. speed, 2004 Aveo sedan (automatic)

Your 2010 should get slightly better MPG than the 2004 in that discussion.

Don't forget to make a garage page for your new car:
      Garage empty: add car

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Do you know the poem about the one hoss shay? Poem: The One Hoss Shay by Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1858

I was at 200K on the Metro, and several repairs lined up... new water pump, O2 sensor, brakes all around, exhaust, the speed control on the heater blower (so I had A/C that worked under the hood, but didn't reach the cabin). Then the rear hatch glass exploded from a lawnmower driven rock... more expense and hassle. But the last straw was finding that it needed a head gasket as well. I'm not in a location where I can do those repairs on my own, so just getting it driveable would have been a whole lot more than I paid for the whole car several years ago.

As far as mileage, when I looked around for another car, I was surprised at how many newer compacts were rated at half of what the Metro got... even if the Aveo is lower than advertised, I'll take it.

Nice talking with you.

Thanks
      I'm not in a location where I can do those repairs on my own, so just getting it driveable would have been a whole lot more than I paid for the whole car several years ago.
      That definietly puts a damper on keeping an old car going.

Great poem! I see your situation clearly:

"How it went to pieces all at once,
      All at once, and nothing first,
      Just as bubbles do when they burst."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

nunispablo (08-13-2017)