•  

Thread: New car with new problems!

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Question New car with new problems!

Hello!

Im Slow-But-Fast (SbF) which is how I feel when I drive the Aveo, haha. I got a 2006 Aveo Lt hatchback (123k) in late June 2016 so I could commute to school (80 miles one way). I had predicted to put 30,000 miles a year on this car. Commuting is cheaper than renting an apartment near my school. I bought the car because it was suppose to have great gas mileage (30mpg) and it was suppose to be very affortable (< $3k).

Both are wrong. In the beginning I was getting about 24mpg but that was because I wasnt driving to school yet. Once the Fall came I started getting 22mpg then averaged 18-20mpg. I had changed the oil before school and again during winter. I had already put about 10k miles on it!!

During the summer I got an ultra guage which is suppose to tell you "live" information such as your ave. Mpg, instant mpg, miles driven, fuel used, read and reset trouble codes and much more. The ultra guage was not calibrated right. It kept on saying I was getting 27 mpg but I was actually getting 22 or 24 (at the time). It would also say that I had driven farther or shorter than what my trip meter stated. I calculated my mpg every time I fill up my tank and the ultra guage was only right once after some recalibrations but thats it. The reason why I got the ultra guage was to help me with increasing my mpg by letting me know how I am driving but its inaccurate. Anyway thats another issue for another day...

My current issue is that Im getting trouble codes. On 12/14/16 I got 9 trouble codes mainly about the o2 sensors and the trottle position sensors.
      They are:
      P2106, p2110, p2135, p1516, p0134, p0133, p0131, p0138, p0137.

I remember during the last few weeks of the Fall semester I had forward jerking motions while driving over 60+ mph. I noticed that they appeared once I started to put less pressure on the gas pedal or that I was driving at a constant speed with a constant pressure on the gas pedal. I did use my cruze control alot but since the jerking not any more. I noticed that the jerking would stop once I started putting more pressure on the gas pedal which would increase my mph but once the speed matched the pressure I put on the pedal the car would jerk. So I would constantly have to let my foot off the pedal (which stopped the jerking) and accelerate again until I was going too fast. Doing this for an hour was not fun.

I had stalled several times on the parkway- where it wouldnt accelerate any more no matter how many times I pressed on the pedal; hopefully there werent any cars near me. I had let the car completely turned off for a few minutes then started it again. Sometimes the jerking would stop after I resetted the trouble codes. Maybe a minute later and the engine light would come back on and I would also get that jerking motion.

I had the o2 problems since mid summer but got the jerking issues in late November- December. I did replace both os2 sensors in the late summer but I still have the problems. My dad, who had worked on cars and knows alot about cars, had said that I had a exhaust leaks that caused the os2 codes. This made sense since that was one of the main causes for all the os2 issues. I did have exhaust leaks which I tried to fix but failed to do. I had recently got my exhaust pipes replaced. All piping from the catalytic converter (not including) to the tail pipe was replaced a week or so ago.

Im still getting the jerking motion and the trouble codes:
      P2135, p2297, p0134, p0131, p0138, p0133(pending)

Im also getting 16-18mpg.
      I would like to know if there is something I can test so I know how to fix my trouble codes and to increase my mpg.

I look forward to interacting with the helpful Aveo community!

Thank you in advance,
      SbF

Thanks
      Okay, thats a lot of engine codes!

Lets take a look at what each one is:

P2135 - Code Throttle/Pedal Pos Sensor/Switch A / B Voltage Correlation
      p2297 - O2 Sensor Out of Range During Deceleration Bank 1 Sensor 1
      p0134 - Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
      p0131 - O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1
      p0138 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit High (B1S2)
      p0133 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response

Aside from the first one, I'd say you have a wiring issue with your primary oxygen sensor. Especially since you have one that says its not getting any signal from the sensor at all.

Should I keep it?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Thank you for your response! I've moved this forum to the troubleshooting feed.

I will check the wiring tomorrow, but according to my UltraGuage I have voltage on both sensors. Sometimes one of the sensors are slow at reading the voltage.

Almost time to do my timing belt xintersecty's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Slow-But-Fast View Post
      Thank you for your response! I've moved this forum to the troubleshooting feed.

I will check the wiring tomorrow, but according to my UltraGuage I have voltage on both sensors. Sometimes one of the sensors are slow at reading the voltage.
      You might have voltage but do you have good grounds? The positive side of a connection is really a voltage suck meaning electrons go from ground to the part. So check the grounds associated with these parts.

Please let us know what you find.
      Name:  o2 sensor circut.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  106.1 KB

Name:  TP Sensor circuit.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  162.6 KB
      Please do not power off, firmware update pending.....

Thanks
      You may well have an intermittent connection. Your ECU logged no connection to the sensor at at least one point in time. A intermittent connection will play all sorts of havoc with signal to the ECU which makes sense to me why you're getting so many P codes. They're all on the forward sensor, so it hopefully won't be too difficult to track down.