•  

Thread: Help!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Unhappy Help!

Okay. So I dont know a lot about cars.. BUT I do know enough to say something isnt right.

I have an 05 Chevy Aveo with 98k miles on it. Ive owned it for about a year and bought it with 68k miles on it. I use it as a commuter driving about 100 miles a day, monday- Friday.

I was driving home last night and i lost control of my car. It began to accelerate. I put it in nuetral and the it still was accelerating. The RPMs skyrocketed to 7,000 and i could barely brake. I slowed down as much as I could and turned the car off.

I let it sit for about 5 minutes and turned it back on. It ran just fine! If not better (is it weird to say that?) I checked the oil and it was a little low so I added more. Thr check engine light is not on.

I am really confused by this. I absolutely love my Aveo and have never had a problem with it before.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGrown View Post
      ... It began to accelerate. I put it in nuetral and the it still was accelerating. The RPMs skyrocketed to 7,000 and i could barely brake. I slowed down as much as I could and turned the car off.
      Not understanding this part at all. In neutral, regardless of which transmission it is, the engine is no longer turning the tranny, and you should have been able to brake with no problems. Did you put it back into gear after putting into neutral, and then try to slow down by braking?

Thanks
      Thats what i was so confused about as well!! The engine kept in the high RPMs no matter what i did. The brakes were still and hard to press down. I literally just had to turn my car off so my engine didnt get too messed up.

Is it relevant that I got a car wash 20 minutes earlier? Thats the only irregular thing that i did. It wad about 30 degrees outside as well if that's important.

Thanks
      Let me walk you through everything:
      I began to feel the car speed up, so i took my foot off the gas pedal.
      The car still was accelorating so i took it out of 5th gear and into nuetral.
      The car still was not slowing down. RPMs were at 7000 by this point.
      I tried to press my brakes, but was having a hard time.
      Lastly i pulled over and shut my car off with the car still in nuetral.

This whole time my car was revving and staying in the very high RPMs.

I was literally out of control of my vehicle. SO weird!!!

Thanks
      Gas pedal stuck to floor mat?

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      could of possible had some icing on the throttle cable but sounds like the throttle body hangup at that moment. Icing might could of done it but so could some trash. So i would get some cleaner from the parts store. Ask them for some throttle body cleaner and I would clean the mess out of it on the outside and well i would release that hose and clean what you can of the inside as well. Just make sure if there is any trash then you would want to remove that first with some pliers or tweezers so you dont blow it into your engine. Then you can clean it like you did the outside. Let it air out before you start the car back up. I would give it an hour and put it all back together and you should have a good clean ride then.